Friday, February 19, 2010

What Makes a Successful Artwork

I was de-installing an ugly, be-laboured steel wool drawing I made last year, Scherzo (The Joke in Italian. Ref: the myth of the trickster, inspired by a chinoiserie jester on a swatch of fabric someone gave me.)

CONCEPT: that creativity -the art part- is elsewhere. It's not the artwork itself, which is a container/medium for the message, but something -the essence- which is less tangible. [the jester points the way]

I'd always loved the concept and the steely crumbs caught in the paper tray at the bottom much more than the actual drawing itself, which I found . . . so cloyingly literal, fussy and academic in its rendering.

The more I de-installed that drawing, 
the more a new drawing was emerging on its own.

Nearly all the pins came off and the jester began to sag {and seemed to exhale a sigh of relief}. . . .until he could no longer support his own weight (his own redundancy) and fell completely down. All that was left was the wrinkle of his simultaneous absence-presence and a telltale, pointing finger. Lovely performance-drawing, don't you think?


QUESTION: What makes a successful artwork?
ONE ANSWER: Chance and Gravity(Gravitas).

7 Comments:

Blogger willibird said...

It left the hand at such a wonderful angle...

[blogger word verification (I'm watching for secret messages) is: inglern]

3:39 PM  
Blogger vosslermegan said...

Love this! Gorgeous.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Ashes77 said...

you go girl.

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Kristina said...

Exactly what I was looking for, regards for posting .
International Business Company Dubai

1:33 AM  
Anonymous dubai offshore said...

Great post, I’m looking forward to hear more from you!!
company formation dubai

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Probate Attorney said...

Your website is very beneficial. Appreciate your sharing

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Alaska Bear Adventures said...

Thank you for sharing this information with us great. I really appreciate everything you have done here and I am happy to know that you really care about the world we live in.

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home