Sunday, October 29, 2006

Renaissance (on the bus)

I'm beginning to think that being on the bus (which I rarely am) is in some way a momentary incubation box for thinking. It's one of the few places/situations that I allow my mind to wander freely without guilt of "time-wasting". Heading towards east end downtown Seattle yesterday afternoon (sniffing around for visual art truffles), I looked out the window thinking about the architectural differences between Seattle and San Francisco. My eyes were drawn again and again to this wedge of sunlight on this cropped view of a baby's hand between passengers. Something about the way the light illuminated it, the lithe and strangely elegant, "mature" movements from such a young child. Realized they reminded me of the hand gestures in Renaissance painting.

Detail. Coronation of the Virgin. Raphael, 1503.

I couldn't resist telling the baby's parents. His mom found it interesting that I picked up on that because they had noticed from very early on that he had always been very expressive with his hands.

hmm.....a renaissance, humanistic principles and ideals, re-birth.
Something pertinent to ponder at this juncture in life/career situations.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once wrote an entire manifesto on a Seattle bus ride. Have you met Harold yet? Or been to see Whiting Tennis' show? Have a large pho for me will you. God I miss those.

10:05 AM  
Blogger mindsprinter said...

I did in fact see the Whiting Tennis show at Kucera during my art truffle hunt. Fantastic show. I've had Kucera bookmarked for some time and am on their mailing list. Great to finally be able to step foot live.

Also checked out the Davidson Gallery (chatted with the gallerist for a while), opted to stay outside of Foster/White...a Chihuly show.

and checked out the new Scott Lawrimore Project off Airport Way. Great new contemporary art space, SL used to work for all 3 of the above mentioned seattle top guns before opening his own place this last June. Nothing really grabbed my attention for more than a few minutes in the current show, but architecturally it is an interesting space, and has amazing art potential. I'm bookmarking it.

Also went to James Harris, and slew of smallies: Platform, Soil, and Garde Rail (amusing), 2 non descript artist buildings next to Davidson.

And no, I haven't met Harold. I sent an email saying I'd be around, but he is being shy.

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard that the Scott Lawrimore Project was an amazing space. But, it also sounded as if they were not focusing on painters. You should go to Howard House. Now there is a gallery that might show your work.

2:37 PM  
Blogger mindsprinter said...

Lawrimore Project wouldn't necessarily be a space for me to show, but a girl needs inspiration. Also..I'm not really a painter (as far as "portfolio" work goes anyway). I would never show stuff like the new territories. Those are just for fun, not very serious or mental....just to loosen the mental cobwebs.

12:28 AM  
Blogger Amey said...

Hi Reb,
I like reading this post, especially since I spent so much time riding the bus when I lived in Seattle. Neat to hear about what's happening in the seattle art scene... It's been quite a few years since I've been to Seattle, and I miss it. Hope you are enjoying your time there.
love Amey

9:34 PM  
Blogger mindsprinter said...

Seattle was mainly work, I'm afraid. Didn't really get a chance to sightsee much in the last month. Mainly just that one day doing the galleries. Had to travel back and forth from SF and LA for various things.

But the people of Seattle have been fantastic, nicer than nice (much more eco-friendly, polite, and with exponentially less attitude than what's become of SF's transplanted inhabitants.) Granted it loses some brownie points with me for icky weather.

7:59 AM  
Blogger fekra said...

Hi there,
b
Nice little article you had there, "being on the bus" in Dublin for instance means denotes a completely different concept i.e. to be part of the action, part of the effort or the solution.
My search for classical hand gesture paintings led me to your blog.

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home