Monday, February 12, 2007

Ingrained

First real day in studio.

Pinned to the wall a few wood bits from a crate I've had for ages (and been lugging around with me for the last 15 years, from many a cross continental studio to the next). Collected over the years from random places (boat building workshops, italian wine cellars, dumpsters, remodel job site trash bins) with no real purpose in mind.

Spent most of my time just looking at them from the corner of my eye, while thinking and whittling a small paintbrush.

Managed to make a small maquette for a "marquetry object",
for lack of a more descriptive name, title or theoretical basis.



2 Comments:

Blogger Steven LaRose said...

I like it.
Can't say why, other than it is my trade and all, but still. . .
Beauty and irony maybe?
Real thing making fake thing?
Ideal or perfect thing?

2:22 PM  
Blogger mindsprinter said...

Thanks. You can take the girl out of faux finishing, but not quite the reverse. haw.

bit of fake/real jumble, I guess.

I'd love to see it as an installation of inlay going around a corner, then along a wall and have the brush fit the inlay a bit better (feel like it's really making the 'mark") . Would rather not dig little 1/8" veneer channels in my studio walls to truly execute it though. Will have to be content with crappy plywood contact paper for the moment.

OH no, not irony. I thought the artworld had already abused and killed that word.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home